Friday, August 28, 2015

Worm Tube

I may not have mentioned much on here about the worm tubes. Earlier in the year I put 3 worm towers in my garden. One went into each of 3 SFG beds. They were filled with organic material and some existing compost. I also added a handful of red wiggler worms. Over the course of the summer I continued adding organic matter but how do I know if any of these efforts were worth while? Last week I dug out one of the worm tubes and emptied the contents. The lower portion was just all sand but the upper portion was very well composted matter and a large number of worms. We will probably never know whether the worms ever migrated out of the tube or not but they did multiply and decompose the organic matter that had been added over the season. For next year I may increase the size of the holes in the tubes and try to make sure compost/organic matter goes further down the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment