Sunday, April 15, 2012

Today’s Mix

I had some vegetable seedlings to plant today so I mixed up some soil to use as an amendment. I've got 3 piles in my yard now. The first is a compost pile that has slowed down and I've sifted a lot of the good compost out already. The second is an active compost pile that I'm adding vegetable scrapes and some grass clippings to. It's been as hot as 150 degrees in the center at times but is cooling down. The third pile is a mix of garden soil, which is mostly sand, and the good compost I've sifted from the first pile.

The mix I made today was a combination of all three piles sifted together and then added peat moss. This should provide a fairly loose soil with some plenty of nutrients. I also used a tsp. of blood meal mixed into the bottom of the planting hole before planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment